Interests: Industrial Ecology. Sustainable Product Design. Operations Innovation.
Jim Mellentine is an Adjunct Professor in the Master of Sustainable Design Program in the College of Architecture and the Built Environment at Philadelphia University.
He has an M.S. degree in Energy Systems and Policy from the University of Iceland and the University of Akureyri, and two B.S.E. degrees in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering from the University of Michigan. Jim is also a certified Project Management Professional (PMP), a LEED Green Associate, and a Life Cycle Assessment Certified Practitioner (LCACP).
Jim is also the Corporate Sustainability Manager at Sustainable Solutions Corporation in Royersford, PA, where he helps numerous client organizations strategically design, implement, and continuously improve programs to reduce environmental impacts, save money, and reduce risk.
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- M.S., Energy Systems & Policy, University of Akureyri and University of Iceland, Akureyri, Iceland, 2011
- B.S.E., Aerospace Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 2004
- B.S.E., Mechanical Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 2004
- Radzinski, T. and Mellentine, J.A. (2015), Waste Reduction and Diversion: A Crucial Business Strategy. Waste Advantage Magazine, April 2015.
- Mellentine, J. (2013), Strengthening the Links in Your Sustainable Supply Chain. Sustainable Solutions Corporation.
- Mellentine, J.A. , Savinell, R.F. and Culver, W.J. (2011), Simulation and optimization of a flow battery in an area regulation application. Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, Volume 41, Issue 10, pp 1167-1174
- Mellentine, J.A. (2011), Performance Characterization and Cost Assessment of an Iron Hybrid Flow Battery. Masters Thesis.
- Insulating Glass Manufacturers Alliance, Winter Meeting, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
- This presentation provided insight to members of IGMA on the importance of material and health disclosure and proper development of a Health Product Declaration (HPD).
- Textile Rental Services Association, Sustainability Summit, Tampa, FL
- As keynote speaker, Jim provided an overview of sustainability trends across industries for the education of TRSA members.
- Vinyl Siding Institute, Fall 2014 Meeting, Washington, DC
- This presentation provided members of VSI with an update on the development of green building codes, progress on development of rules for the publication of Environmental Product Declarations (EPD) for cladding products, and points for consideration for pursuing EPDs as an industry or as individual companies.
- Applied Market Information Profiles Conference 2014, Philadelphia, PA
- Jim identified specific business drivers and methods for integrating sustainability considerations into the new product development process.
- Applied Market Information Profiles Conference 2013, Philadelphia, PA
- Jim provided an overview of product stewardship concepts and the importance of transparency in product and organizational sustainability performance.
- Vinyl Siding Institute, Fall 2012 Meeting, Washington, DC
- This presentation provided members of VSI with an overview of Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) and the potential benefits of developing and publishing transparent environmental performance information.
Fall 2013, Fall 2014, Spring 2015, Fall 2015
Guest lectures at Villanova University, 2011 - 2013
- EGR 8111 Advanced Life Cycle Assessment and Introduction to Sustainable Product Design (Fall 2012, Fall 2013)
- CE 7110 Principles of Sustainable Development (Fall 2011)
This page was last updated: May 4, 2015