resume (Click to access.)
very brief bio (Click to access.)
University of Westminster (London,
PhD - Design Management
Thesis: "A study of the experiential service design process at a luxury hotel"
(Click on "Thesis" above to access.)
Philadelphia University (USA,
Israel & Germany):
MS - Global Textile Marketing
Vassar College (Poughkeepsie,
NY & Bahia, Brazil):
BA - Anthropology and Africana Studies
Honors: Cum Laude
professional affiliations & certifications
- Design Management Institute
- National Charrette Institute (Trained and certified to lead charrettes for consultancies in innovation and consensus building. Harvard Graduate School of Design.)
- International Textile and Apparel Association
- American Apparel and Footwear Association (Educational Advisory Board)
- "Dressing the part for the party" by Elizabeth Wellington The Philadelphia Inquirer September 6, 2012 (article)
- "It Ain't Easy Being Chic" by Emily Goulet Philadelphia Magazine February 2012
- "Time for an orange flush: The color of the year is tangerine tango, a bold hue shimmying with crimson" The Philadelphia Inquirer, December 14, 2011
- "Fashion: is it art or not?", www.typef.com, September 3, 2011 by Antonia Blyth http://www.typef.com/article/fashion-art-not/
- Kate Middleton's Style & Influence, NBC10 News coverage, July 12, 2011
- "Neighborhood Pride T-Shirts. Nostalgia with a boast",The Philadelphia Inquirer, December 23, 2010.
- "What Will Vick's Number 7 Say About the Buyer". The Philadelphia Inquirer, August 19, 2009.
- "In a zipless economy,
the zipper", The Philadelphia Inquirer, October 15, 2008 (article)
- Back to school
television news segment, WPVI-Action News, August 21, 2008
- Selling the stuff of politics", Philadelphia Inquirer, April 22, 2008 (article)
- Taking a chance on luxe", Philadelphia Inquirer, January 27, 2008 (article)
- Body Diversity Fashion Show in Collaboration
with A Chance To Heal- NBC 10 Coverage, November 21, 2007 (article)
Body Diversity Fashion Show in Collaboration
with A Chance To Heal- ABC 6 Coverage, November 15, 2007 (article)
- "Hanging by a Slender Thread", Orlando Sentinel,
- "This Year's Trend- Buy for Today",
Metrokids.com, September, 2007 (article)
- Back to School Shopping Advice on
All That And More, August 16, 2007, NBC10
- "Sizing Up The Spat over Red Carpet Copycats", Christian Science Monitor, March 2, 2007
- "Clothes Made to Smell in a Good Way", Discovery
Channel, February 2, 2007
- "Fashion Students donate to non-profits", Roxborough Review, December 27, 2006
- "A Plus-Sized Opportunity", Entreprenuer
Magazine, November 17, 2006
- "Hanging by A Slender Thread", The Orlando
Sentinel, November, 2006
- "Chico Chain Fame", The Fort Wayne Journal
Gazette, July 25, 2006
- "Zero is the New Eight", The Boston Globe, May
- Interview on Fox 29 News Philadelphia, February
1, 2006- Closing of Strawbridge's
- "Strawbridge's Countdown: Many Sales, Few
Regrets", The Philadelphia Inquirer, January 31, 2006
- "Victoria's Secret? Kids", The Philadelphia
Inquirer, December 22, 2005
- "A Second Chance In Fashion", The Philadelphia
Inquirer, November 22, 2005
- "Wanted: Fashion for the 'Mature' Woman", The
Christian Science Monitor, November 16, 2005
- "Engineering The Perfect Fit", National
Society of Black Engineer's The Bridge Journal, Fall 2005
- "Fashion Industry Matures with Focus on Older
Women", Baltimore Sun, April 27, 2005
- Appearance on the CN8 "Money Matters"
show to discuss Black Power Inc. by Cora Daniels. May
NBC10.com "Vanity Sizing Labels Put Lower
Size on Larger Clothes". November 25, 2003
Forthcoming in November 2012. Nixon, Natalie and Johanna Blakley. "Fashion Thinking: Towards an Actionable Methodology". Fashion Practice. Volume 4, Issue 2 Pages 153-176
Forthcoming in December 2012: Wyatt, Nioka, Natalie Nixon and DK Malhotra. "Corporate governance practices in the fashion and retail industry in the United States". International Journal of Management Research
Nixon, Natalie W. "Designing Experiential Services with an Improvisational Stance". Touchpoint-The Service Design Network Journal. Volume 4, No. 1 "Eat, Sleep, Play". Pages 32-35. (Article)
Nixon, Natalie Weathers and Alison Rieple. “Luxury Re-Designed: How The Ritz-Carlton Uses Experiential Service Design To Position Abundance in Times of Scarcity.” Design Management Institute Journal Volume 1, (2010). (Article)
Weathers, N. (2008) Fashion Infusion,
Management Innovation & Creativity, Vol. 1, Iss. 1, pp. tbd
(Upcoming Blind Reviewed journal Publication date: August 2008)
- Weathers, N. (9 August 2007) "Sizing
up garment fit issues",
here for the entire article)
- Weathers, N. (27 February 2006)
"Bringing the Right Fit to The Masses",
here for the entire article)
- Pierce, John, Fernando Tovia and Natalie
Weathers. “Scent-Infused Textiles to Enhance Consumer Experiences.”
(2005): 15 September. NTC Online Research Project Database.
National Textile Center.
- Weathers, N. (15 March 2004) "African
Apparel: Marketing Globally Means Acting Regionally",
here for the entire article)
- Weathers, N. (3 May 2004) "Educating
Students for a Global Industry ",
here for the entire article)
& guest lectures
- Moderator: Business of Fashion Panel for The Philadelphia Collection series. September, 2012, Palomar Hotel, Philadelphia, PA.
- Guest Speaker: "Redesigning Graduate Business Education- Towards Hybridity". Industrial Design Society of America, Regional Meeting, April 2012, Philadelphia, PA.
- Guest Speaker: "The Value of the Hunch: Design Thinking." 2011 Germantown Friends School Alumni Speaker
- Presented Paper: Stephanie Brodish, Natalie W. Nixon and Carol Cirka. "Fast fashion's knock off savvy: Proposing a new competency in a sustainability index for the fast fashion industry." Northeast Business and Econmics Association 38th Annual Meeting. Philadelphia, PA. November 4, 2011.
- Presented Paper: Nioka Wyatt, DK Malhotra and Natalie W. Nixon. "Recent trends in corporate governance practices in the fashion industry in the United States." Northeast Business and Econmics Association 38th Annual Meeting. Philadelphia, PA. November 4, 2011.
- Presented Paper: Natalie W. Nixon, Leslie Samoni & Nioka Wyatt. "The Pop-Up Retail Experiencxe- A Means to Building Brand Awareness" 5th Conference on Designing Pleasurable Products and Interfaces. Politecnico di Milano. Milan, Italy. June 24, 2011.
- Panelist & Paper Presentation: Natalie Nixon- "Four observations about advertising and social media in 2011" The Art of Advertising conference. Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA. May 24, 2011.
- Presented Paper. Nixon, Natalie W. (2009) “Luxury Re-Designed: How the Ritz-Carlton Uses Experiential Service Design to Position Abundance in Times of Scarcity” Design Korea 2009 International Conference Seoul, South Korea December 3-4, 2009 Peer reviewed conference sponsored by the Design Management Institute and the Korean Institute of Design Promotion.
- Workshop. “Design Audit Your Self. Be the Designer of Your Life Conference. Philadelphia, PA Convened by the American Association of University Women April 25, 2009
- Presented Paper:
Weathers, N. (2008) "Fashion Infusion",
Intellectbase International Consortium peer-reviewed conference
proceedings, Volume 2, Nashville, TN, USA, May 28-30, 2008,
- Presented paper: "A Dress is Never Just a
Dress- The infusion of fashion into consumer products",
The 6th Annual Hawaii International Conference on the Arts and
Humanities, January 12, 2008, Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Guest Lecturer at Moore College of Art:
"Global Fashion Marketing", Summer 2007, Philadelphia, PA.
- Panelist and Presenter: Global Creative
Economy Convergence Summit, June 2006, Philadelphia, PA.
- Panelist for Evoluer's "Style Symposium:
Breaking Into the Real-World Fashion & Beauty Industries".
November 19, 2005 at the Enterprise Center, Philadelphia, PA.
- International Textile and Apparel
Association Conference- Presentation: "Minority Vendor
Supplier Programs in the Apparel Industry: A Matter of
Innovation", November 3, 2005; Alexandria, VA.
- Mid Atlantic Organizational Behavior
Conference, Presentation: "Where Fashion Meets Service", April
2005, Philadelphia, PA.
Asian Textile Conference -
Paper presentation: "Educating Textile and Apparel
Students for the 21st Century".
December, 2003; Delhi, India.
Philadelphia Art Alliance- Presentation: "Links Between
Fashion and Culture in Sri Lanka and South Africa". November
2003; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- The third biennial US-Africa Business
the Corporate Council on Africa. Panelist: Positioning of
African Apparel Firms to be Competitive Under the AGOA Bill.
October 2001; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Fashion Practice- The journal of design, creative practice and the fashion industry. (Berg Publishers)
FORMakademisk- Scandinavian service design journal
Evaluator for new Master's degree (MPS) in Fashion Retail Management for approval by the State of New York.
Federated Macy's Merchandising Group
Consultancy: provided workshop on strategic sourcing
Consultancy: applying fashion
industry product development concepts to chewing gum packaging.
Wharton's 2005 Global
Served as expert to give US apparel industry information to Peruvian sportswear
Key Design, Inc.
Consultancy: Marketing plan for Women's fashion Accessory Product
grants & awards
Recipient of $35,000 grant from Cotton Inc. to produce Cotton Radio with Nioka Wyatt and Steven Frumkin. 2009-2010
- Recipient of the 2007 Lindback
Distinguished Teaching Award
Procured $67,000 of funding for a Summer
Design Fellowship Program in partnership with the School
District of Philadelphia: 2005
Procured $50,000 of funding for the Cotton
Inc. Student Competition Grant: 2004, 2005.
Recipient of a Philadelphia University
Research Grant, 2004
"Impact of Minority Vendor Development
Programs on the American Fashion Scene"
Recipient of Lindback Foundation Junior Minority Faculty
“Marketing Strategy to Enhance The Competitiveness of African Apparel Firms
Entering the US Market"
Recipient of a Philadelphia University Research Grant, 2002
"Marketing Campaign for the United States Textile Industry"